|UPDATE: Read about Go-Pro founder Nick Woodman on Forbes.|
Sometimes we run into “Cool Stuff” by accident, as I did with this piece of camera equipment.
However, I will start looking more consciously for particularly “cool” gadgets that might interest you and will try to post my “finds” on a somewhat regular basis.
The GoPro HERO is a high performance, wearable, waterproof 1080p HD video and still photo “sports” camera, even though I can think of a few applications not even remotely sports, but equally cool...
It records 1080p/960p/720p HD video at 30 and 60 frames per second (60 fps in 720p), up to 2.5 hours on a single charge and up to 9 hours total on a 32GB SD card (not included).
The camera can also shoot 5 Mp. photos at 2/5/10/30 and 60 second intervals. Pressing the shutter button once at the start of an activity records up to 2.5 hours of high quality, 5 Mp photos.
The outfits include a quick-release HD housing for protection and offer optional mounts for attaching it to different surfaces.
All models are compatible with other GoPro HERO camera mounting accessories, making it easy to expand to suction cup for curved surfaces, clamp for handlebars or seat posts and even straps for carrying it on the wrist or chest.
Other options include chargers (wall, car), a LCD-screen backpac, an additional Battery backpac to double recording time, and lens- or housing replacement kits, in case something goes really wrong.
The removable poly carbonate housing is waterproof down to -60 m/-196 ft and protects the camera from mud, grit, sand, water and other hazards.
The GoPro HERO comes in different configurations - like Motorsports, helmet and surf - with a standard or wide-angle lens, and in HD or standard-def.
Prices start at $ 100 for a standard-def model and $ 260 for a HD model. For more information visit the GoPro website
Tech specs (GoPro Hero HD Naked)
* Lens Type: Fixed Focus (2ft/.6m – ∞), glass
* Aperture: f/2.8 (high performance in low-light situations)
* Angle of View: 170º ultra wide angle in WVGA, 720p, or 960p mode
* Angle of View: 127º wide angle in 1080p mode
* HD Video Resolution Modes:
• 1080p = 1920x1080 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 15 Mbit/s data rate
• 960p = 1280x960 pixels (4:3), 30 fps, 12 Mbit/s data rate
• 720p = 1280x720 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 15 Mbit/s data rate
• 720p = 1280x720 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate
• WVGA = 848x480 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate
* Sensor Type: 1/2.5" HD CMOS, 2.2µm-sized pixels
* Light Sensitivity: Super low-light sensitivity (>1.4 V/lux-sec)
* Video Format: H.264 compression, saved as Windows- & Mac-compatible MPEG4 (.mp4) file
* Exposure Control: Auto with user selectable center weighted average and spot metering settings
* White Balance: Auto
* Microphone: Built-in, mono with AGC (automatic gain control)
* Audio Format: 48 kHz, AAC audio compression
* Resolution: 5 megapixel
* Capture Modes: Single shot, photo every 2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 secs.; 3 photo burst; self-timer
* Memory: SD card, up to 32GB capacity (SDHC - Not included)
* Average recording times (using 32GB SD card):
• 1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m
• 960p (30 fps): 5h 26m
• 720p (60 fps): 4h 21
• 720p (30 fps): 8h 09m
• WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m
No feedback yet
Form is loading...